Wednesday, September 30, 2009

.....And We're Back!

Things are marching forth in around here. In addition to driving Peter the spider out of my latrine and cleaning Bruce the bat‘s poop off my wall, I have now persuaded the village drunk not to follow me home everyday from the market. That may of course be because he’s just bored of me by now and would rather spend his time yelling at the kids playing ping-pong. Really the biggest disappointment so far has been a complete lack of mefloquine induced dreams. I was rather looking forward to those.

The house is pretty close to set up, just as soon as Kofi the Carpenter puts in my shelves, which he was supposed to do about a month ago. I spent a few days haggling and arguing with him, rather heatedly at times, and as a result we are now fast friends(seriously). It seems as if Ghanaians actually enjoy a good tiff, or at least Kofi the Carpenter does.

Classes officially started on the 15th of September. Day one was spent watching kids hack wildly at weeds with machetes, and day two was spent in a raucous worship session conducted by the teachers followed by more weeding. Thankfully, I was only asked to witness the supplications and not lead any of them or participate for that matter. This seems to be a trend by the way. The next Wednesday was just about exactly the same. I did get to do some teaching on day three finally. I’m teaching seven roughly hour long lessons a week for now, although my counterpart asked me to take over the form threes for math next term as well so that number might go up in a few months. During my first lessons with both classes I’m teaching, I gave my students a brief review of what they supposedly learnt last year. Turns out, they didn’t really learn much of it, so the first few weeks of term are going to be spent reviewing stuff. My form one class, to whom I’ll be teaching both math and science, is going to be a bit of a challenge. They don’t really understand English for one, and also it’s the classroom with no roof, so I’ll either be baking slowly under the sun or running frantically from the rain.. The form twos, to whom I’ll just be teaching math are a bit better at understanding me, so I’m pretty sure I can make at least some progress with them.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment