Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Finally at site!

We had our swearing in ceremony on August 13, so we are now no longer lowly Peace Corps Trainees but are now lowly Peace Corps Volunteers. I got to site last week and my counterpart, headmaster and most of the teachers are out of town. Also, spiders, roughly the size of my face, live in my latrine. This is troublesome news. My house needs a lot of work. All I have is a rather rickety bed and I still don’t have any chairs or a desk, which were supposed to have been provided, but oh well.
Right now, things are pretty slow. I’ve been hanging out with some of my students who are attempting to teach me a mixture of Twi and Fanti, both of which are spoken in my village and only the former of which I actually know a bit. A couple of kids asked me to tutor them in math and physics so I’ve started doing that almost every day, provided I don’t have to go to Cape Coast to pick up stuff for the old homestead, or they’re not out farming.
I’ve also been spending at least a few hours a day outside the house interacting with the people, buying things at the market, and busting out my Twi, much to the amusement of everyone around. A good portion of people go out to farm during the day so the village gets pretty quiet, except at night, when there are boisterous church services into the wee small hours of the morning.
On an unrelated note, I’m going to start a garden so if anyone wants to send me stuff in the mail, basil, cilantro, spinach, jalapeƱo, and zucchini seeds would be greatly appreciated, as would any dried fruits, nuts, candy, or just about anything that can be made by just adding water. I’m also trying to get mobile internet at my site, which I think should be fast enough to use Skype on occasionally.
Anyway, you all should keep me updated on the goings-on out there and I’ll keep posting on here with at least some degree of regularity.


3 comments:

  1. Yay, Arjun! I hope you update this thing. It's great to keep up with your adventures and learn about Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arjun... hope you keep posting updates... I personally think I would not be able to handle this drastic change of environment after being used to all the luxuries we take for granted here in the States. Kudos to you and good luck with everything! Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arjun, keep blogging. This is fucking great. Can't wait to read more.
    -jmp.

    ReplyDelete